How to?

Get legal advice

If you need legal advice you have different options. Some legal advice is free but some can be expensive.

You can get help from a legal adviser such as a solicitor but that isn’t always necessary, it depends on what problem you have and what you need. It may be that there are other organisations who may be able to help you.

Depending on what’s happened you may be able to deal with the problem yourself or with help from local advice centres such as your local Citizens Advice centre, housing advice centre or a law centre near you.

With some types of problems, it can be quicker, cheaper and less stressful to use mediation, arbitration or an ombudsman scheme. These are ways of resolving a legal issue without going to court, and are also called ‘alternative dispute resolution’.

Contact Citizens Advice

The Citizens Advice website provides information and advice if you are thinking about getting legal advice. You can also find support near you on the Citizens Advice website.

Are you looking for help?

Search our organisation directory